Children receiving gun training in a school dated 1956. Here is an actual photograph of how gun control was handled back in the day in Indiana, This year, 1956 the kids were trained in proper usage of guns and how to safely carry. The number of school shootings that year in Indiana? 0. I think hours could be spent on this topic, but let us make it simple.
Human nature desires what it cannot have. However most times, when you reverse that way of thinking by making it available, people find that the interest slowly dies down, unless there are some that truly want to learn about the topic. In the case of guns, I think educating children and helping them respect the gun, is a far better choice than hiding guns and acting like our kids cannot get one off the streets. Would you rather tell the children you are raising to stay away from guns and pray that they really do? Or would you find some comfort knowing that a professional is training them to treat any weapon as deadly and teaching them to respect guns?
I have been in that situation, having 5 children. The issue was not always guns, in my case it was one with guns, and then some motocross, and a little bullriding that my kids took interest in at very young ages. I embraced what they enjoyed, made sure they had the most protective gear possible, and have watched one become a champion marksmen through the sheriff’s department, and the teenager after 6 years, still riding bulls. I never “opted” them out of anything, but rather I exposed them to everything and let their own hearts be drawn to what it was they were interested in. Of course I was the one to select what things I exposed them to, so I actually had control. It is called freedom within limits. Everyone gets to feel like they are in charge!
I write this to encourage you NOT to try and shield your babies from the things of the world, but be with them when they encounter certain areas of life, and you be the one to explain it to them. They will get access to all that is out there, period. The choices they make later may have to do with how grounded they already are in what they are into.
Just something to think about!
- Ranking Pro-Gun Arguments (kurtlynch.wordpress.com)
- Personal Gun Control: Safety Tips for You and Your Family (simplisafe.com)
- Police haul in 1,035 guns with Pistols for Pixels firearm amnesty (metronews.ca)
- Armed or Not: Choosing a Collective Identity (theblacktortoise.com)
- Interview with Mari Bailey: Mother & Activist Who Lost Her Son to Gun Violence (iamphx.org)
- Shredding the Idea of Shredding Guns (weaponsman.com)
- This Week in Crime (safewise.com)
- Race Matters: New Study Shows White Americans Who Own Guns Are Likely To Be “Symbolic” Racists (bossip.com)
- Don’t Lie For The Other Guy – The Campaign Takes A New Twist (mikethegunguy.com)